There are many types of performance critics: from the critic as consumer guide, letting audiences know if a show is worth their money or not; to the critic as historian, placing performance in its broader cultural context for future posterity.
This workshop, focusing on theatre and dance, is for everyone who is interested in considering performance – both those who want to go on to create written reviews themselves, and those who just want to have a deeper more critical relationship with the work that they see.
Everyone's a critic: this workshop will show you how.
Participants will learn:
- The different forms of reviewing and modes of criticism
- How to be a more engaged audience member
- How to consider the different components of a performance
- How to use written language as an act of translating physical performance
- How to better consider the place of performance in broader culture and society.